Monday, May 12, 2008

Othello


What's the first thing that pops into your head when you hear the name "Othello?" If you asked my sister, she would most likely peg Othello as one of Shakespeare's greatest tragedies. She would also be able to tell you several of his greatest histories and comedies. Not me. If you asked me what pops into my head when I hear the name "Othello," I'll tell you a math game!

Othello is also known by the name Reversi. It's an interesting strategy game where players try to outflank their opponents and then capture those pieces by flipping them to the opposite color. Visit the Pressman Toy site for directions and strategies. I was not interested in this game as a youth so I did not play it in school or at home. However, my research on math games, constructivism, and classrooms has made me rethink several games.

I found a my copy of Othello (the game board looks just the the one in the picture to your top right and was made by the company Gabriel) at an antique store for $2.00 on Friday. What a steal. And none of the pieces were missing. Amazon has the game (now by Mattel) for about $12.00, with newer, sleeker styling (Not!). Okay, I admit, the little square groves might help out when the cat decides to try and help. There are currently about 22 Othello games (board, travel, and electronic) available at eBay starting at $2.50. Don't forget to throw in shipping!

This weekend Orion and I gave Othello a trial run. He actually asked to play it again! I think we like it! I have found several online or electronic versions of Othello. Check them out below.

Online Othello: The Othello playing engine used here was originally written by Roemer B. Lievaart for the 1987 International Obfuscated C Code Contest. It's a pretty good engine for only 1024 bytes of C code! (I had to add that blurb because typing "Obfuscated C Code Contest" made me sigh!)

Fly or Die: At Fly or Die you can play Internet Reversi with other folks.

Freeware Home: Lists several Othello-like games to download.

Not sure you want to invest $12.00 for a new game and cannot seem to find a used game at the local Salvation Army? Visit the Galactic Apple and find a version of Kamii's Sandwich Game using a grid and pennies (heads or tails).

I recently figured out how to play Minesweeper (perhaps it was a patience issue, or lack there of). With Othello under my belt, so to speak, I am wondering if I can learn Go. How is it like Othello? How is it different? Can you teach an old Kat new games?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed playing Othello with Orion,,,But I want a rematch!

Anonymous said...

Used Othello to Teach Radioactive Decay. I think it went well. Start with all pieces with black side uo. Turn over half at a time. Have students graph the percent black remaining each time pieces are turned over. If there is a large class, you need an "ELMO" or similar overhead proector.