Thursday, June 20, 2013

Overturn

Several years ago (Has it really been five years?) I blogged about one of my new favorite games, Othello.  New because I had never played it as a child and favorite because this game can be played on so many levels.  Since then I have shared this game with my Elementary and Middle School Mathematics Methodology students every semester when I introduce "in a row" type games.  As one would expect, there are students who enjoy the game and others who do not.  However, this past 'Maymester' (a wicked, three week long, summer intersession) I taught Math Methods and my students LOVED Othello.  Even when new games had been introduced, if Othello was available they went back to it.  Several downloaded the Reversi game on their phones to practice.  We had an amazing and intense, albeit short, semester.  We also had fun.  So much so, that my return to blogging can be attributed to my wonderful spring term and summer term math students! We all just got so excited about mathematics, teaching and learning it, and especially playing games to promote those math skills and problem solving. 

Overturn, another "new to me game", was made by the makers of Othello.  Like many of my games I discovered it on the dusty shelves of a thrift store in Tennessee and for $3 it was mine.  I have been so lucky purchasing games at Goodwill in Tennessee- they're almost always complete!  Once I opened the game I realized it was a mix of Boggle and Othello.  Overturn is like Boggle in that the goal is to make words using contiguous letters- only in this game you place rings around each letter you use.  It is like Othello in that each player has a different colored set of rings (silver or green).  The goal is to use as many letters of your opponent's words in your new word so that you may flip their rings to your color. The winner is the player with the most rings at the end of the game.  It is quite interesting that the board actually consists of nine plastic plates containing four letters.  There are 18 (I think) 2x2 plates that can be arranged in an astounding number of arrangements so the arrangement of letters is always new!

So readers, have any of you played Overturn either recently or in the distant past?  what are your experiences?   

No comments: