Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sorry!


This has got to be one of my all time favorite games. I remember spending hours (I mean hours!) on snow days playing this game with my sister. Now I have the pleasure of sharing this game with my son, Orion. We’ve been playing this game since Orion was about four or five years old. Of course we’ve had to modify it for MY short attention span, not his.

As you may recall, a player must draw a 1 or a 2 Sorry! card in order to start a pawn around the board. This can take an eternity. These are some of the modifications that Orion and I have made over the past several years. We still love Sorry! and we have a great time playing.

1. Use only two pawns instead of four. Yes, another ploy to shorten the game!

2. Use dice instead of cards. Allow a player to move on any roll of the dice. Start with one die.

3. When your child has the hang of one to one correspondence and an understanding of the numbers one through six, try “Double Sorry!” Double the number on the die! Watch the game go by quickly!

4. Use several dice. Use the sum of the dice to indicate the number of spaces the player may move.

5. “Product Sorry!” Dare we try this? Use the product of two (or three) dice to indicate the number of spaces the player may move. We’ve not yet made it this far, but I bet the game zooms!

No comments: